To prevent cats from such diseases, as rabies, rhinotracheitis, panleukopenia, calicivirosis, chlamydeous and ringworm, you should make all the necessary inoculations.
You had better vaccinate the female before crossing; it will allow kittens to receive protection against an infection with parent milk.
The first vaccination should be made in 12 weeks, second - in 3-4 weeks after the first.
A veterinary doctor should make the vaccination!
Basic feline diseases
- Rabies is an infectious illness affecting the central nervous system. The pathogen is rhabdovirus. The infection mostly occurs from dogs and wild animal's stings (foxes and coon dogs). This illness represents significant danger for people. In our country, the inoculation from rabies is obligatory!
- Rhinotracheitis is an infectious illness, affecting breathing organs, their mucous capsules of digestive system of genitals and eyes. The cats during long time can be carriers of a virus. This period of disease passes without any clinical symptoms, but with constant allocation of a virus into the environment. More often rhinotracheitis is accompanied by rhinitis (affects a mucous capsule of a nose) and by conjunctivitis (affects eyes). The pathogen of illness is herpes virus (type 1).
- Panleukopenia is an infectious feline disease caused by parvo virus. The illness is shown by sharp reduction of leucocytes in number, diarrheas and dehydration of the organism. As a result, many animals perish.
- Calicivirosis or calicivirus infection is an acute respiratory disease, which can be caused by one or several types of caliciviruses of the cats. The recovery results in strong immunity, but the latent infection is characterized by long allocation of the pathogen from nasopharynx.
- Chlamydeous is a chronic infectious disease affecting respiratory tracts of the cats. The pathogen is chlamydia. In combination with other pathogenic microorganisms of virus and bacterial nature, chlamydia can cause an inflammation of joints, mucous capsule of an eye (conjunctivitis) and become the reason of females' miscarriage.
Preventive measures against helminthes and other parasites
- You should give helminthics thrice a year. These measures are usually taken after a summer period and before crossing, 10 days prior to vaccination as well. The preparations of a wide spectrum of action are better to use, such as "Drontal" for females, "Polyverkan", and new preparation - "Panacur". It is soft and can be even used for kittens.
- To prevent a kitten from insects use Tiguvon. These are oil drops, which are put on a withers of an animal (preparation works within 3 weeks). Frolontine is a very good preventive spray of a wide spectrum of action. The preparation protects an animal within 40 days, and then the processing can be repeated.
The cat demands your attention
Each good owner will understand at once that something is wrong with his/her pet by the following symptoms:
- weakness and apathy
- change of a habitual mode
- atypical behaviour
- excessive washing
- excessive scratching
- sharp loss of weight
- prolapse of the third eyelid
- bad appetite
- a low need in water
- strong thirst
- bloody excrement
- frequent urination
- a strong smell from a mouth
- excessive gassing
- running eyes
- wan hair
- pale gums
You should daily keep an eye on your pet to notice in time all the symptoms above mentioned. The owner should be harassed if a silent and quiet cat suddenly became aggressive to its congener; or if a kitten ceases to play. It can be by the first symptom of any disease.
Therefore, always keep in touch with your veterinary doctor. It is better to be reinsured, than to be late.
Let your cat be always healthy!